Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Diary of a Dominatrix

This week I read Diary of a Dominatrix by Molly Kiely. This one I found really interesting because it doesn't glamorize sex work like you think it would (well, for the most part). It really shows that it's a job, first and foremost.  For Zelda, it's something mundane and part of her normal life, even if it doesn't feel normal to the person reading it. Sometimes the most surprising parts of the book were the mundane parts, like the fact that she has a boyfriend who knows what her job is. I remember watching this show called Secret Diary of a Call Girl, where the fact that the protagonist was a sex worker was this big mysterious secret that got in the way of her love life, etc. It felt more like a fantasy than something realistic, and I was worried that Diary of a Dominatrix was going to be the same thing.

However, what I find interesting about Diary of a Dominatrix is that it's not telling the reader to feel a certain way. It's not shaming the reader for being curious, or asking the reader to be totally okay with sex work, or asking the reader to be against it. It's just presenting the facts. Some people reading it might find the detailed artwork grotesque, and some might find it attractive. Every person is going to have a unique experience with it. To me, I just found it interesting to be able to spend a day in the life of someone with a completely different lifestyle than me. I love how comics can transport you into another person's shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment